Traditional Sausage Roll Rules 2023
- Sausage rolls need to be a true representation of what is on sale to your customers at the time of entering competition.
- No additional pastry decorations are allowed, e.g. animals, stars, lattice toppings.
- Markings are allowed, e.g. cuts, scoring.
- Seed toppings allowed e.g. sesame seed, poppyseed.
- Cheese toppings not allowed.
- Judging guideline: Sausage Rolls entered need to be based on a traditional New Zealand sausage roll.
- Sausage Roll filling must contain either – beef, pork or lamb.
- The inclusion of vegetables is permitted. No mushrooms allowed.
- Pastry glaze is permitted.
- Supply 3 identical sausage rolls.
- Maximum weight – 480g for ALL 3 sausage rolls.
- Maximum length of each – 120mm.
- Pastry used can be manufactured on site or brought in - Only Puff or flaky pastry must be used.
Place of Manufacture and On Sale Rules
Sausage Rolls must be manufactured at the site of registration of, and place of business of the entrant. All Sausage Rolls must be on sale at the time of entering and be of the same quality whilst available during the competition.
01. Entry is open to cafés, lunchbars, hotels.
02.The Sausage Rolls entered remain the property of New Zealand Bakels Ltd.
03. Acceptance of an Award implies the winner’s agreement to take part in any resulting publicity or promotion.
04. “The Bakels Legendary Sausage Roll Competition” name and logo remain the property of NZ Bakels Ltd and may not be reproduced without permission.
05. Entries will only be accepted in the official entry box, and no early or late entries will be accepted.
06. Entrants are responsible for ensuring their entries reach NZ Bakels in good condition.
07. Each entry box must include three identical Sausage Rolls.
08. NZ Bakels reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is not within the required parameters of general entry conditions.
09. In the event of a tie in any category, the tied entries will be re-judged alongside each other to decide a winner.
10. The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
11. Multiple entries (different retail outlets entering Sausage Rolls from the same bakery or manufacturer) are not permitted.